Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Jim Thalassoudis - beauty with an edge

Love art - The South Australian Art Gallery

My love - love relationship with Jim started when I read his advice on artforum (http://www.artforum.com.au/) - a real inspiration. And then I've discovered his sunsets. His sunsets are the most beautiful things I've seen in my life. I simply fell in love with them.

"Beauty with an edge is the aim. As an artist working with and using imagery that can be seen as beautiful, I keep myself from slipping into mere beauty by the haunting words of Wagner. In one of the best artistic put downs ever Wagner dismissed the composer Daniel Auber's music as: "The work of a barber who lathers but forgets to shave". Daniel Auber was hugely successful in his time, with 50 operas to his name, he became wildly rich, but little of his music has survived into this century....mainly because so much of it was light, fluffy, beauty for the sake of beauty and for success."The work of a barber who lathers but forgets to shave". It should haunt ever artist.......I should write it on a note, pin it on top of my easel and have it remind me never forget to have an edge! To use beauty and not be seduced by it, nor to use beauty as the only means to seduce the viewer of the painting. "

Jim Thalassoudis



Jim's current solo exhibition is running at the Greenhill Galleries in Perth until the 13th of June.
http://www.greenhillgalleries.com/exhibitions/exhibition_details_thalassoudis.html
The trouble with Jim is that him, like myself, is an Aries.