Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Amanda van Gils - with an end in mind

With an end in mind - oil on linen
I love her early works and her quest for new expressive ideas.

I admire her willingness to help - her posts on Art Forum and Australian Art Forum are always informative and very helpful.
Talking with Art Interview about her work in 2006 Amanda said:
"My postgraduate was at the Victorian College of the Arts and my undergraduate was at Chisholm Institute (now Monash University) in Melbourne.

I started by creating very abstract landscapes. You could tell they were landscapes but they were not intended to be very accurate representations. I was painting the idea of a landscape. I also played with other things, but I would say that I have always been heavily based in figurative work.
Everything has evolved over time. If I look at the work I have created over the last seven years there has been an apparent evolution of the ideas. What I am doing now is very different from what I was doing seven years ago. There has been a natural progression from one piece of work or from one theme to another. I am currently painting children playing in the sky. That evolved from painting people snorkeling in the sky, which was one of those happy accidents. I just happened to put a photograph of myself snorkeling, while I was on holiday, next to a photograph of one of my drawings and the idea just somehow came to me. It was the first time that I actually worked with figures. I liked that idea and I began playing with the notion of limitless possibilities of being in the sky".

Amanda van Gils - Art Interview - 006
Enjoy Amanda's figurative work and more recent landscapes here: