Wednesday, August 12, 2009

David Arandle - The Extraordinary Tourist



"Generally I describe myself as an Artist but this tends to suggest only one aspect of my creativity. I have a creative interest in so many things. I write stories, poems, comedy, articles. I paint, draw, cartoon. I'm a graphic designer. I design and code web sites, program computers, create animation, video and multimedia presentations. Sometimes I'm a photographer, a model and a problem solver. Sometimes I invent things, design games, build stuff and manage people.
The point is that I'm a creative person. I don't put a limit on where I apply my creativity. You can't put me in a pigeon hole. I'd get bored if you did. It's just who I am.



My real name is David Arandle. It is only online that I am known as The Extraordinary Tourist. Most people just call me TET. In chat rooms I use the nickname etourist or some variation of it (as occasionally it's taken).
In April of 1999 I needed a new nickname for a message board, forum style, chat site called 'Whispers'. I was hoping to meet new people and make new friends so I wanted a nickname that would get me noticed.
Two years earlier I had created a character 'The Extraordinary Tourist', a traveler between perceptions. A guy who was different depending on your point of view. The character's name was a variation of a book title "The Accidental Tourist", which was later made into a film staring Gina Davis and William Hurt. I really liked that title and wanted something similar for my character.
To cut a long story short, the character had a cool name so I adopted it as my own. To some degree I have also superimposed the character into my own life - mostly adopting the idea of being 'Extraordinary'. I think it's an ideal worth striving for."


TET is one of my greatest inspirations, as one who has been where I am now.

Enjoy his journeys here: